What is a task?
A task is a service that is carried out by a particular role for which the output is typically a set of documents. For example, the task ‘Prepare the feasibility study’ may be assigned to a Civil Engineer and the output could typically be a set of documents that includes a presentation, a report and a number of photographs.
Adding a task
To add a new task into a stage of the plan, select the "Add task" button.
There are seven fields when adding a task, although only two fields are required. The required fields are marked with a red asterisk in the tasks modal:
- Reference - The reference code for a task needs to be unique within the entire project. Our default naming convention uses a system of prefixing the stage number to the beginning of each task reference.
- Task Name - A simple description of the task.
- Employer’s Information Requirement (EIR) - The specific information requirement that is the output of the task. For example, ‘The handover strategy’.
- Responsibility - You can define which role will be responsible for completing this task. The responsibility drop-down shows a list of all roles which have been defined from the "Roles" tab.
- Classification - The classification from the COBie documents worksheet.
- Plain Language Question (PLQ) - A reference back to what the employer's need for this information is. For example, the need to know whether the local community will support the development.
- Notes - If more information is required, the notes field can be used to provide extra details.
Once you have completed these fields, selecting the "Save Changes" button will commit the information to your project and update the task list for the stage you are currently viewing. Alternatively, you can press the "Cancel" button to discard any information you have entered.
Editing a task
To edit a task, move the mouse curser over the task you wish to edit. This will reveal three icons to the right of the task, select the edit icon.
Editing a task will show you a very similar modal to that of the add task modal. Once you have completed editing the task, selecting the "Save Changes" button will commit the information to your project and update the task list for the stage you are currently viewing. Alternatively, you can press the "Cancel" button to discard any information you have entered.
If you have a long list of tasks at a particular stage, clicking the Reference, Tasks or Responsibility column headings will sort the chosen column alphabetically, A-Z or Z-A.
Viewing task details
When viewing a list of tasks, the chevron icon in the right hand column acts as an indication of when a note already exists. Either selecting the chevron or the task name will show the note. To change the content of the note, hover over the task and click the edit icon.
Hyperlinks may be added to the Notes field so users can quickly link to additional information that can support a Task.
Commenting on tasks
Administrators and Contributor can post comments against tasks. This allows the digital plan of work to become a reference source that can be used by each member of a collaborative project team on a daily basis. See the Commenting support page for further details.
Deleting a task
To delete a task, move the mouse curser over the task you wish to delete. This will reveal three icons to the right of the task, select the delete icon.
On the confirmation modal, simply click the "Delete task" button. The task, with all associated comments will be removed from the stage in your project.
Note: Once a task is deleted it will be permanently removed from your project. You will not be able to retrieve it at a future date.